Sunday 1 November 2015

Kaiju Panic (Xbox One) - Review

Kaiju Panic is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £11.99.

Kaiju Panic is an insanely bright and cutesy tower-defense x RTS, seriously you made need to don your sunglasses if you're the type of gamer the Daily Fail writes about. The way the villages are set out kinda reminded me of an old Pokemon game - just not as pixelated.

Anyway you've been tasked with evacuating the village whilst defending against the invading kaiju. You need to harvest the purple stuff so that you can spend it on defence and artillery. Collect the villagers and they'll follow you around like Pikmin and speed up any of your constructions. Simple.

Except I didn't think it was, as the learning curve is just too steep - that or I'm just a bit shit, which is a very real possibility. I like to think I'm a fan of a good old tower defense and to be fair I rock at Defense Grid, but I found this game a little too fast and frenetic. In contrast to the corridors of Defense Grid, Kaiju come from all over the map and take unpredictable paths to the village, making it difficult to place turrets for maximum efficiency. This left me hurriedly attempting to put down some artillery in the way of the invading Kaiju, but often I wasn't fast enough.

The game is very well presented. My son was incredibly excited to play it after watching me but unfortunately found it too difficult. I think the art style does really pull in the younger audience, but be wary of buying this solely for your child as the chances are they'll find it too hard and turn off. If you're after a cute but tough tower defense game then you could do much worse than picking up Kaiju Panic!
6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment