Monday 29 June 2015

Beach Buggy Racing (Xbox One) - Review

Beach Buggy Racing is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £7.99.

My son is a HUGE fan of kart racing games, whether he's racing around in a helicopter as Wreck-It Ralph in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed or whooping us all as Baby Mario in Mario Kart 8 (which he screams in Mario's voice every time it gets turned on). So when he noticed I'd been sent this game to review he was super excited to play it.

Beach Buggy Racing is a game that is available on mobile devices. I haven't played it on this format, but as I understand it the mobile version has a lot of in app purchases. The developers have taken these out of the Xbox One version so as to justify the £7.99 price tag. So what do you get for your money?

Whilst my family and I had fun with this game, it is clearly not in the same league as the games mentioned previously. I'm not saying it is trying to compete with those, I just mean that if you go into this game expecting the same level of customisation there is available in Mario Kart then prepared to be disappointed. There are a few pre-built characters and cars to pick between, and then some different paint jobs for the cars and that is it. For me it was enough to be honest, as I am starting to feel that the amount of customisation in Mario Kart 8 just takes away from actual play time. Then again I am playing with a six year old who delights in building a different vehicle for EVERY SINGLE RACE. He was fairly happy with the customisation available in Beach Buggy Racing, or at least he didn't complain anyway.
There is a small amount of customisation

The racing is GOOD too. Everyone pretty much knows what to expect from this type of game now, a race around a crazy track, with a few obstacles and some bubbles that give you power ups along the way. In Beach Buggy Racing you also have an in-built power up depending on your character and car which is a one use thing. The racing feels very responsive and it is fun to play in local multiplayer. The single player stuff suffers from what I feel is a pretty steep difficulty increase though, leaving Zach incredibly frustrated when he chose to play by himself. It does kinda feel like the odds are stacked against you.

Overall I'd say this game is a pretty fair price at £7.99. It isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, but really if you don't have a Wii U then you've not got many kart racers to choose from. I believe Sonic & All-Stars was released on the previous gen, so could be picked up pretty cheaply now if you still have your old console hanging around. But if you have £8 spare and a couple of young kids to entertain then I'd say pick this up.

6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment