Tuesday 25 October 2016

Manual Samuel (Xbox One) - Review

Manual Samuel is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £7.99.

This game is bonkers, so naturally I wanted to give it a look. With half term now here I am always on the lookout for games I can still play with two eagle-eyed children about full-time, and this seemed like a good one to let my kids watch between play fights and epic battles between clip dolls and Imaginext figures.

I was right. This game has had me and my kids howling with laughter. You play as Samuel, who is a bit of an idiot. He manages to get himself ran over whilst chasing after his now ex-girlfriend and thus makes a deal with the devil to live manually for 24 hours in order to win his life back. Samuel now has to consciously do everything we take for granted, including blinking and breathing.

The day starts off simply enough with you learning to just blink, breath and put one foot in front of another. Soon though you have to have a pee, then brush your teeth and have a shower. Then you have to drive to work and dodge an obscene amount of grannies jaywalking. Anyway, the day progressively gets harder and more buttons are introduced, you get the idea.

I didn't struggle with this for quite awhile and was feeling rather smug with myself. And then suddenly it just felt like I didn't have enough fingers for the task at hand and I got completely sick to death of hearing the dialogue I had thought was funny a few hundred attempts ago (this might be a slight exaggeration).

It started off as a game I would definitely recommend to most people, the graphics are cartoony, the voice acting is great and the game is generally enjoyable. But then it wore me down and I just didn't find it as funny anymore. Luckily it's a fairly short game with easy achievements so there are plenty of people that would like to add this game to their collection.

6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review. 

1 comment: