Wednesday 2 March 2016

6180 the Moon (Xbox One) - Review


6180 the Moon is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £3.19.

6180 the Moon is a really simplistic platformer. That's not to say it isn't challenging. In fact this game gets really difficult, or it did for me anyway. It reminds me a lot of the The Impossible Game on XBLIG, a game I lost many, many hours too. I got literally one jump from the end and have never been back since for fear of launching my controller across the room. Luckily 6180 the Moon isn't that frustrating, you will get stuck on the same bit of a level over and over again but the levels are much shorter than The Impossible game and they have generous checkpoints, so it doesn't feel as bad.

So you plays as a moon who is searching the Solar System for the sun that has gone missing. It is very minimalistic graphically, but I always find that this style works well with this kind of game. I feel that it just distracts less from the simplistic elements of the gameplay if the graphics are in the same vein. Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't buy into the whole 'the game has to be the prettiest thing I've ever seen, otherwise I won't enjoy it' thing. I have friends like that and I just find it odd, how can they not see the beauty in even the most simple pixel art?!

Anyway, I digress. Each level sees you jumping over spikes to reach the end (see why it reminds me of The Impossible Game?) but in 6180 the Moon the top and bottom of the screen loops, so when you fall off the bottom of the screen you'll re-enter at the top and vice versa. Your moon speeds up as you go along too, making it a little bit more difficult to precisely time your movements. This little mechanic also served to make me feel quite sick. I couldn't play this game for an extended time without coming away a little nauseous.

6180 the Moon is a neat little game with a charming narrative. It is WELL worth the minuscule price tag if you like a challenging platformer. But it has been out for awhile now, so I doubt you have to wait long for a sale that will make it that bit cheaper. 

6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment