Saturday 12 March 2016

Ironcast (Xbox One) - Review

Ironcast is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £9.99.

Jeez, Ironcast is tough. As it stands I am yet to make it past day seven, if I ever do I will come back and update my review. So if you expect a review from someone who's completed it, you best look elsewhere because I haven't and I honestly don't know whether I ever will. But dammit I'm gonna keep trying - which is probably the biggest indicator I could give you of what I think of Ironcast.

Now I've got my little confession out of the way let's talk about the game. Ironcast is...well it's a crazy game that's a mash up of a match three puzzle game, with some turn-based tactical combat and RPG-ish levelling thrown in for good measure. I think. I can honestly say I've played nothing quite like this before.

Set in Victorian London you take control of an Ironcast - which is basically a big walking tank - in the battle for control of the Voltite. You then use the match three type game to fill your Ironcasts tanks, with orbs for things like Coolant and Ammo. NEVER under-estimate the importance of coolant - if you don't have enough of this you will overheat when you attempt to fire on the enemies tank. You get three moves per turn on the match three board, but you can fire, strengthen your defences or set your Ironcast walking towards the enemy as long as you have the power to do so. The match three gameplay isn't the same as say Candy Crush, as you can match in any direction. There are also switch nodes, which means you can collect two different kinds of power or scrap. Scrap is required to repair and upgrade your Ironcast in the Workshop, which you automatically go to after each battle. You also get access to Augmentations as you level up. Upon your death (which WILL happen) you get Commendation marks, which are used to give your Ironcast more permanent upgrades, rather than the ones given in the campaign - these are only available for the specific Ironcast you are using in this particular attempt at the campaign.

Usually with games I find tough I tend to give up and move onto a game that challenges me just enough, if that makes sense. But with Ironcast I've found myself keep going back, despite not being able to do it. If you're looking for something challenging, that's a bit different then Ironcast might just be what you're looking for.

7/10 TRY IT!

A code was provided for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment