Tuesday 8 March 2016

Pixel Piracy (Xbox One) - Review

Pixel Piracy is available now on the Xbox One and is priced at £11.99.

Pixel Piracy is a pixelated pirate simulator that sees you take your pixelated pirate and his crew around the various islands, pillaging and plundering to your hearts content. Your main goal is to take out the four other main pirate Captains so that you become the best pirate to ever sail the pixelated seas.

I encountered problems straight off the bat with this game. I found it incredibly hard to understand what I needed to do, the controls with which to do it and really the point of the game. YouTube is definitely your friend before you begin this adventure. I know people are sick of games holding our hands and telling us absolutely everything but this game takes it to the other extreme, it tells you nothing. As well as this I seemed to be plagued with bugs, well once I'd eventually gotten around to hiring a crew and fighting some pirates. The game crashed out a lot once I got into battles with the bigger ships, meaning I had to travel to them and begin the battle again. Not the most annoying bug but it is inconvenient, especially numerous times.

However, this lack of understanding how the game works may have been my own problem. My son who is seven seemed to take to this game like a duck to water and spent many hours on it (until Rocket League came out). Maybe young children have an innate understanding of games, their engines, designs and rules, or maybe I'm just a bit slow on the uptake but either way he didn't struggle at the beginning like I had and he quickly sailed through the game (see what I did there?!).

The game may have entertained my son for a few hours, but I have to say I found it incredibly dull, even when I did understand what I was supposed to be doing. For the first time in awhile I felt like I was playing purely for the review, rather than having fun with a game I have just been lucky enough to review. And at £11.99 I'd say it's out of it's league. You can get some real gems at that price, hell you can get some real gems at a fraction of the price. If you feel like there's a pixelated pirate-y hole in your life, have at it. Everyone else? Wait for a sale.

4/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment