Saturday 1 December 2012

Halloween Scream (XBLIG) Review


Halloween Scream is available now on the XBLIG Marketplace for 80MSP.

Text based games never seem to work so well do they? But is's been awhile since I played one so I contacted the dev for a code and I've got to say I wasn't disappointed!
I was one of the geeky kids, nose in a book most of the time I wasn't near my console when I was a kid. And I used to LOVE the books that gave you decisions to make and pages to turn to depending on which decision you made. The games I've played never seem to be able to live up to the enjoyment I gleaned from these books. This game actually surprised me.

Now obviously I can't talk about graphics because there aren't any really. There is just frame after frame  of text and then up to four choices at the bottom. The writing is pretty hammy in parts too. It feels pretty over-exaggerated for the most part and there doesn't seem much sense to some of it. It feels like the writers just wanted to add words. Sometimes it works, sometimes the game feels slightly more atmospheric because of the writing but mostly it's just pretty jarring. Letting that go though the story is pretty good. Ok maybe it's just ok. But still that is more than I expected.

You're called to Highmoor House on Halloween to collect your inheritance from a long-forgotten distant aunt. You must work your way through the house and the various puzzles it gives you to find out what the inheritance is. I won't spoil it for you, but it's not what I was expecting.

Overall this game provided me with just under an hours worth of gaming. And I didn't really get bored. I wasn't that excited either, but come on who gets excited over text? It was an all-round ok experience that won't leave you wanting more but that won't leave you feeling ripped-off either. Try it!

6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment